I’ve been saving this cake for Ten Years!

Yesterday was November 2, 2008, and that means two things.

First, it was the Day of the Dead. Woo! Hello, dead people. I’m thinking of you!

Second, that means it’s been TEN YEARS since Grim Fandango was released into the land of the living.

Holy crap. Where did the time go? Let’s have some cake.

Ten years. Guess how many games I’ve shipped since then. Go ahead. Guess. Can you? Here is the answer:

ONE!

One game! Just one, single, extremely excellent game. In ten years. And I’ve been working that whole time, trying to make games as fast as I can. Sheesh.

Games take too long to make.

Anyway, we had a little Grim team reunion last night and it was really fun to see everybody again.

One good thing about making games so slowly is that you don’t have to pay for cake too often.

11/03/2008 - 06:35 PM
11/03/08 - 08:07 PM
DLK1:

"Man. Ten years and I still enjoy playing it. Thanks, Manny! -Dan ps - great job on the cake!"
11/03/08 - 09:15 PM
bill857:

"anyone know where I can get one of those Glottis shirts?"
11/03/08 - 09:38 PM
Shawn:

"I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed Grim Fandango. It was the inspiration for me to go into video game design. Thanks for producing such a great game so long ago. Its still great today for the story and simple gameplay."
11/03/08 - 09:59 PM
Apple Pop:

"Manny looks delicious... 10 years and it's still an amazing game that I love and enjoy! Who was the awesome person that made this cake?"
11/04/08 - 01:21 AM
Zomantic:

"Happy birthday, Fandango! Oh, the happy memories..."
11/04/08 - 01:42 AM
angelicboris:

"Congra...please send me a copy of this excellent game. I wish to share in the celebration."
11/04/08 - 03:07 AM
Diduz:

"Ten years... but, you know, I don't feel old at all! :-P"
11/04/08 - 03:27 AM
Nice Cup of Tea:

"Happy Tenth Birthday Grim Fandango! Tim: maybe you should start making smaller games that don't take quite so long to make? The sort of thing you might find on XBLA, PSN or WiiWare. Maybe even something episodic. I'm sure such options have been discussed at DoubleFine, just showing my support for such a model :D"
11/04/08 - 08:17 AM
Razputin:

"No, i think that a great idea would be to by one of the very great already existing game engines such as the UT3 or ID Tech5 that i think will do.. most likely everything. That would maybe speed up the awesome process of making a game :) . Grim Fandango is still great!!"
11/04/08 - 09:28 AM
dpittman42:

"Ten years, and it's still one of the games I must keep installed on my PC. And ten years is not soo bad for games with the epicness of Psychonauts! After all did Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel overnight? No it took him four years. (Wow really only fours years?) Well hey Tim, he didn't have to deal with dialog trees, camera clipping and Publishers! So keep up the great work, coffin shooters all around. ¡Viva la revolution!"
11/04/08 - 10:14 AM
Boozby:

"Basically my favorite game of all time. 2 days ago I dressed up as a grim fandango skeleton for Halloween and won a costume contest. Thank you for shaping my childhood Tim. DOPE-FANDANGO."
11/04/08 - 10:56 AM
Jeroen Stout:

"My god, Tim! 10 years! Grim Fandango I loved and you've been quite some inspiration to me, which I hope you continue... (..is this the birthday of GF or your own? err...) ...by which I mean, Grim Fandango was awesome! I even painted, when I first moved into my rented-student-room, Manny on the wall: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jeroenstout/RandomPhotos#5264860908052599890 One of these days my landlord will use this as evidence for my eviction, saying that it must be, if anything, against regulation to paint skeletons on walls. He might want to rent the room to girls later, you see. But he clearly doesn't understand the brilliant game that was Grim Fandango! So there! Keep making games. Aye, make them slightly faster. But keep making them. (Will your children inherit all your properties? In that case, make more babies also) Happy birthday, -Jeroen"
11/04/08 - 11:46 AM
Kroms:

"Mr. Schafer -- I was only eight years old when this game came so I never played it until last year. Fandango hasn't aged a day! It affected me in a way that only very few games, books, films or bands have in all my life. Much, much love!"
11/04/08 - 12:36 PM
GloKidd:

"Very cool :) November 2 is my birthday as well, had i been aware of that i would have surely acknowledged what this was back then: A super awesome B-day gift from Tim :D Thanks Man even if it is a decade late, now i feel like a jerk... :-P"
11/04/08 - 04:36 PM
GrimCalavera:

"Still the best game ever. I was 11 the first time I played, and it gets better every time. I am hereby also offering my support of the idea to release an episodic point-and-click on wiiware and PC."
11/04/08 - 04:41 PM
GrimCalavera:

"Also: Tim, halloween is over, you can take off your Ben Throttle costume."
11/04/08 - 07:44 PM
LyR_:

"this one game is already more than most other developers ever did or will do"
11/05/08 - 12:35 AM
solidsprite:

"Two INCREDIBLE games in ten years. Here's to two more in the next ten. ;) *drinks self into stupor*"
11/05/08 - 01:28 AM
Mick Moolhuijsen:

"Congratulations to Tim and the entire team for making the best game I ever played. Has it really been ten years? Time DOES go by fast when you're enjoying it. I'm also pleased to say that I really play Grim Fandango each year a few times to bask in it's beauty. I'm still praying that, like Psychonauts, Manuel's epic journey will venture to the depths of the Xbox 360. Or maybe it's time for some birthday Grim Fandango action-figures? I'd buy em :D And please tell me the rumour to make a movie out of Grim is true. I'd have a cinematical orgasm. This was truly your best work ever! And just like Jeroen Stout, I too have a wall deticated to the best travel-agent ever!"
11/05/08 - 07:43 AM
Ofiler:

"Congrats everybody! Like Shawn above, Grim Fandango was the final straw in my decision to pursue a career in game development, when I was 14 years old. I wanted to make games like *that*! That much atmosphere, characters with that much depth, environments with that much history, story that you could care about, music that was pitch perfect, dialogue that was awesome and clever... A wonderful contribution to the world of videogames, and the world in general. You should all feel extremely proud!"
11/05/08 - 07:55 AM
Pyoko:

"That is an awesome cake. For an awesome game. The most awesomest in fact. (Yes, so awesome it needs a double superlative form.) Happy birthday Grim! I'm gonna go fetch the CDs and re-install it, right after I finish playing through the second and third most awesomest games ever, Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2."
11/05/08 - 01:42 PM
Conrad:

"Ahh this is so nice to see. Happy tenth birthday, Grim Fandango! By far my favorite game of all time, this is the game that got me into video games when I was young. Grim Fandango's depth, fantastic story, wonderful dialogue, beautiful art, all showed me how much a game can really be. I have yet to play any game that rivals that experience I had playing Grim Fandango when I was young. It inspired me to draw, to play games, and now to pursue college and my eventual career goal, as an artist working on video games. I'm getting my first (and potentially only, considering how many years it took me to think on it and make SURE I wanted it) tattoo sometime this month in honor of this great game, and how it has inspired me in my life. :)"
11/06/08 - 02:30 AM
Joe Slap:

"Whoops I'm late... Happy birthday!! I want a piece of cake too! Grim Fandango is a real evergreen masterpiece. <3"
11/06/08 - 04:25 AM
nieker:

"I am going to print this document and read every night before I go to sleep... ...for the rest of my life."
11/08/08 - 12:41 AM
MannyCalamari:

"Could you name everyone in the photo and what part they played making LucasArts last great game?"
11/08/08 - 09:36 AM
shadow_judge:

"By far Grim Fandango is the best game I have ever played. Well, maybe just behind Half-life 2, but I have a lot of memories with Grim Fandango. Such a lovely masterpiece you have made, Mr Schafer. And it has been 10 years now. Thank you, for such contribution to the game industry, and for adding a part of sweet memory in my life."
11/09/08 - 06:12 PM
DLK1:

"I guess Peter must've read it, eh? -Dan"
11/13/08 - 09:28 AM
nosgam:

"Congrats! Would be nice indeed if you could add the names please."
11/16/08 - 12:21 PM
joe75:

"just finished it, and playing psychonauts, now. thanks !!! http://gurujoe.blogspot.com/2008/11/flamenco-so-smrou.html"
11/19/08 - 08:37 AM
Vamdango:

"Aw man. I wish i could have split off into two different vams 10 years ago. Two different sentient vams that I could live through simultaneously. One that went back to toronto to do toronto things and the other that stayed behind and hung out with the San Fran gang. Hope you guys had a blast. And from the looks of it beard's are in this season. And what a coup getting Ernest Hemingway to join you guys....but where is Mark Hamer?"
11/20/08 - 07:42 AM
Wigwam:

"I actually just got this game this year after playing Psychonauts. and I actually played it on November the 2nd! I got to year 4. I've finished it now. seriously one of the best games I've ever played. great atmosphere, music, characters and story. I find it ironic how people are still saying video games will never be as deep and immersive and films and books when this game came out ten years ago."
05/03/15 - 12:03 PM
topparked:

"love the cake design very cool https://astucesaclashofclans.fr/blog"
09/06/15 - 05:40 PM

"Ich komme aus Wisata Pulau Tidung ferner ich liebe, Spiele zu spielen, vor allem, wenn die Spiele des Krieges. Mein Haus ist ein touristischer Ort, der es immer überfüllt mit Besuchern Tour, falls ich Spiele spielen macht. Für diejenigen unter Ihnen, die wollen, um andere Informationen zu erhalten, wo ich lebe Sie meinen Artikel via Titel Pulau Pari lesen wissen"
12/06/15 - 01:30 PM
Erica R. Osborn:

"To enjoy comics or getting information regarding games this website is helpful. My essay services are now a days based on research for people interested in online gaming and for me this is a useful platform. I have always tried to gather information online to manage my tasks with quality content."