Announcing Hack ‘n’ Slash: It’s real, and it has algorithms

>> Host: hacknslashthegame.com
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS)
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/octet-stream

DOUBLE FINE ANNOUNCES PUZZLE ACTION GAME HACK ’N’ SLASH
Former Amnesia Fortnight Prototype to Launch in First Half 2014, Supported by Indie Fund and friends of Double Fine

SAN FRANCISCO–December 10, 2013–Double Fine Productions today announced that Hack ‘n’ Slash, a hacking themed puzzle action game for Windows, Mac, and Linux, will release in the first half of 2014. A version of the game debuted during Double Fine’s Amnesia Fortnight 2012 internal game jam. It was selected by the gaming public to be turned into a two-week prototype, after garnering more votes than any other Amnesia Fortnight pitch.

In Hack ‘n’ Slash, a young elf uses her computer hacking skills to cheat her way through a classic action/adventure game. The game was funded by Indie Fund, Humble Bundle, Hemisphere Games, make all, AppAbove Games, Adam Saltsman, The Behemoth, Morgan Webb, and Rob Reid as part of a two-game deal that also includes Spacebase DF-9, which released in Early Access Alpha and recouped its investment within two weeks.

“I’ve always loved games with lots of secrets in them,” said Hack ‘n’ Slash project lead Brandon Dillon, “and when I first discovered a hex editor in an emulator, it dawned on me that I could be a kind of digital treasure hunter—no game could keep even its deepest secrets from me if I adventured long enough in its code and memory.”

By subverting old-school gaming tropes with unique hacking mechanics, Hack ‘n’ Slash allows non-programmer players to experience that same sense of mystery and discovery.

“Look, I’m going to be honest with you here: I don’t really understand what’s going on inside this game’s code,” said Double Fine president and CEO Tim Schafer, who claims to possess a degree in computer science. “I believe it contains ‘algorithms.’ But I know what’s going on inside my heart when I play it. And that is joy.”

“We’re psyched to be helping with Hack’n'Slash because Amnesia Fortnight projects are about empowering individual creators,” said Indie Fund partner Ron Carmel, who definitely possesses a degree in computer science. “And I can confirm that this game’s code does contain algorithms.”

Hack ‘n’ Slash will be released for Windows, Mac, and Linux on Steam and DRM-free in the first half of 2014. It will include algorithms.

> CONNECT host:hacknslashthegame.com port:443
> SEND ClientHello suites:TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA certs:x509 random:xIl3HWupPdsvwY94XV3UHtW04aE/wT4X8p7FmdSxW5w=
RECV ServerHello random:Up2+Rmzxa4CFywMpfAMCBn7wJHaiBnwEGslWPq4QaTQ=
RECV Certificate [verified]
RECV ServerHelloDone
> SEND ClientKeyExchange premaster:AwKV0UmxkA/iXZ4Y4NDn0P1Ju/m6GNL10FR7PuJae/83Ghy3Eo+6qDiJwQsNzjyB
... [encrypting provided premaster]
> ENCRYPT
... [computing master key]
... [sending ChangeCypherSpec]
> VERIFY
... [computing verify_data:Tcz7sewhNdF70Xmd]
... [sending Finished]
>SEND ApplicationData
>> ******************************************
>> ***************************
... [sending ApplicationData encrypted_payload:9Uxik4wGjQEoga0gznSZM7H+x4gnbdG9iqVwCOucgvE=]
... [sending ApplicationData encrypted_payload:Z41sWWPE2pPTxXnfbb/ju+g9NGrE/7gMltSvCW2J5aLCjH0R5k8E1iHJydJ1OuguAyZqKPlUDOxVZ6I1dnIJkPBXre5y2wcZU5misdX8Hk+exdqsbpjeDRwQKxwxcOTm]
wqbzvEF9EWuIshMxNfrvhg75TbHD5/WY4dA8m73GW6kX6S7lszdMKCKr3QWz0/2EAwdkU51tyAqEMB1DR87/9PnAXnECqvbVZLWL8MBNgcyd4ri+YzRDF/R+XbJ3qXbRIfuaiJGqjB8AQSYTHdmBIqdcamc6404t5cw0Gx7oRyYmudXx4CZ1D2fpD801jKNOm/Zv0saw3XwF7j0gPvvKZBWmUzwGc9L8PNFkKzsliozmBUxyE3hdRu0L7G5fqviPejgjau3VBC3LI64nvNz8yQ27yoZKpaqAlAV69tnPkwqTGeXgFM6ev4w6CTFUYPHucogo5OJ3V0G0n69k8+aljaeeNTuVzmRML9bHJdzVB4s252NF2PrgPlzGQIgbih7P4unwshrtCLeg8zLF0AApCA==
—-TRACE END—-

12/10/2013 - 12:39 PM
12/10/13 - 02:34 PM
GunnyMcfly:

"secrets!"
12/10/13 - 02:47 PM
fierydrake:

"Regent Wizards, whatever next. Game looks and sounds really sweet. Looking forward to it, great job so far guys."
12/10/13 - 03:59 PM
Jos:

"Nice! I'll surely be getting this when it comes out. Nice job Brandon!"
12/10/13 - 04:20 PM
gateway2006:

"It's like each game from AFN is becoming real what's next White Birch?"
12/10/13 - 04:42 PM
PaulloDEC:

"Swear to God Schafer, if we don't get some details on Black Lake soon, I'm gonna freakin' lose it. Anyway, great news! Exciting to see so many of the Amnesia Prototypes getting legit release. Makes me even more excited for AF2013/2014."
12/10/13 - 05:32 PM
DavidMann3D:

"I would like to go to there. Also, Brazen please? Man, that proto was fun!"
12/10/13 - 06:08 PM
Cheeseness:

"Yay! :D"
12/10/13 - 07:47 PM
DRayX:

"the embedded application is enciphered with the incantation presented by the first observed glyphs"
12/10/13 - 09:02 PM
Taekon:

"Is this why Brandon had to leave the Reds team? This is great news! I wonder if this trend of AF2012 games getting published will extend to Black Lake as weeeelll? Eh? *winks*"
12/11/13 - 12:07 AM
DRayX:

"AND WITH THIS INCANTATION I DO SO ENSORCELL MATTERS SUCH THAT THE MAGIC OF THIS APPLICATION PRODUCES A RESULT THAT MUST INVARIABLY ENGENDER MAGNIFICENT AMPLIFICATION OF THE DESIRED OUTCOMES THAT WE PRODUCE. AND WITH THIS INCANTATION I THEE BOND INTO REALMS FOREVER INTWINING OURSELVES TO OUR COMBINED DESTINIES WHICH PRODUCE A KIND OF INFINITE REWARD IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF MECHANISMS TO AID OUR DISCOVERY OF KNOWLEDGE AND TRUTH. AND WITH THIS INCANTATION I REVEAL MYSELF TO BE CAPABLE OF CHALLENGES OF THE MIND AND SPIRIT WHICH STRENGTHEN AND EMBOLDEN MY CAPACITY FOR TAKING CONTROL OVER THAT WHICH WAS ALWAYS OUR BIRTHRIGHT THOUGH SOMESTIMES WE FOOL EVEN OURSELVES TO PROTECT THAT WHICH CANNOT BE PROTECTED. WITH THIS INCANTATION I OPEN THE LOCK CLASPED SIMPLY TO PROVIDE OPPORTUNITY FOR DEMONSTRATION OF MY POWER. AND WITH THIS INCANTATION I FOREVER OPEN THE BOUNDARIES OF UNDRESTANDING SUCH THAT I ALWAYS REALIZE THE POWERS I HAVE OVER HIDDEN BUT NOT INACCESSIBLE TRUTHS. AND WITH THE MECHANISMS OF THIS INCANTATION I CAN BREAK THE BONDS THAT WERE NEVER REALLY THERE DESPITE THE INSISTENCE OF THOSE PRESENTING THEMSELVES AS WIZARDS. AND WITH THIS INCANTATION I OBSERVE THE FINITE IN THE INFINITE THAT HAS PRODUCED MUCH WONDER AND MAGIC IN OUR WORLD AND COMMIT TO THE PURSUITE OF UNDERSTANDING. AND WITH THIS INCANTATION I DO DECLARE THAT BIRTHRIGHT HAS NO STANDING IN THE CHAMBERS OF WISDOM. AND WITH THIS INCANTATION I DO PRESENT MATTERS SUCH THAT IT IS OBSERVABLE THAT NO CREATURE SHOULD BE RESTRAINED BY THE FEAR OF OTHERS."
12/21/13 - 05:32 AM
KillerFish:

"Excellent, let me add that to my "future buys" list."
01/11/14 - 11:28 AM
math:

"I love the sound of this."
02/10/14 - 05:42 PM
Cristan:

"Mmm, I guess passwords are like incantations. Never really thought about it this way. Anyway, congratulations and I'm curious about the real deal."
09/15/14 - 04:30 PM
jack89:

"excelent...bro disini read here visit here "