Brütal Legend now rocking your face on PC

BRÜTAL LEGEND NOW IN MULTIPLAYER BETA ON STEAM

SAN FRANCISCO, CA — February 13, 2013 — Double Fine Productions is compelled by the dark gods of Metal to announce that the epic rock-adventure Brütal Legend is being unleashed upon the PC. The game can currently be preordered for $14.99 on Steam—a 25% discount off the release-day price.

So powerful is the game’s raw lifeforce that even its creators cannot contain it any longer. Owners will receive immediate access to the Brütal Legend PC multiplayer beta, which is now live and already blowing souls. All preorder customers will also be granted two exclusive Team Fortress 2 items, Eddie Riggs’ hair and his guitar Clementine, all the better to spread the word of Metal throughout the virtual land.

“Adding a PC release to Brütal Legend’s list of conquests risks raising the world’s ambient Metal saturation to dangerously high levels,” said Double Fine President Tim Schafer, “which is why we’re conducting this closed beta test for preorders.”

“By purchasing this game, you are waiving your legal rights to recourse if the fire beast Ormagöden bathes the world in flame and ushers in the Age of Metal,” commented our lawyer.

“Shh,” added Mr. Schafer.

Also available on Steam is the Brütal Legend original musical score composed by Peter McConnell, which can be bundled with the game for $4.99 or purchased separately for $7.99.

And hot on the heels of the PC release is the long-awaited Art of Brütal Legend book from our friends at UDON Entertainment, including more than 600 lavishly reproduced pieces of concept art from the development process, featuring a foreward by Tim Schafer and an introduction by artist Scott Campbell. The Art of Brütal Legend can be preordered at the Double Fine Action Shop, along with other high-quality merchandise such as multiple brand-new collectible art prints and a limited-edition Eddie Riggs statue: http://shop.doublefine.com/collections/game-brutal-legend

More information on Brütal Legend is available at: http://www.doublefine.com/brutallegend/

SUPER-NERDY GRAPHICAL AND PERFORMANCE DETAILS

Currently Brütal PC is in beta, which means we have more improvements planned before the full launch. Here’s a rundown.

The current version has the following:
• Much higher quality anti-aliasing (FXAA and SSAA). Users will be able to select these through the UI in a soon to come update.
• Support for resolutions > 720p (whatever your monitor/GPU will support).
• SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion) which makes for better contact shadows and more solid looking objects.
• Major improvements to latency/lag in multiplayer, especially in large games or games where some players have very bad pings.

Updates over the next week or so will add:
• Uncapped (i.e. as fast as your GPU can handle) framerate.
• Support for high-fidelity (i.e. 60Hz) simulation in single player.
• Higher quality shadows.
• Increased draw distance (which users can tune to be larger or smaller if need be).

02/13/2013 - 10:52 AM
02/13/13 - 11:32 AM
edit:

"Oh Double Fine, I can't believe I ever doubted you (and ranted on your forums). Instabuy, and thank you!"
02/13/13 - 11:32 AM
JelDeRebel:

"WHAT WHAT WHAAAAAAAAAAT whatever happened to the high cost of licensing all the music again? o_O"
02/13/13 - 12:44 PM
Masternoob:

"<3<3<3<3"
02/13/13 - 01:06 PM
Durk:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs Long time waiting, but it's finally here. Thank you, Tim."
02/13/13 - 01:10 PM
Jack Dandy:

"GOOOoood."
02/13/13 - 01:26 PM
Karuji:

"I own it! now to somehow get that artbook . . ."
02/13/13 - 01:28 PM
herberck:

"does anybody know if the game will have all the licensed music from the console version? tim schafer said the soundtrack doestn include those, but what about the game itself?"
02/13/13 - 02:55 PM
KristofferTrolle:

"omg omg, thank you double fine! :D"
02/13/13 - 04:06 PM
SlothOnFire:

"Awesome to see this game finally make it to PC, but I gotta say, it's a little disheartening to read the full description and not see a single mention of the RTS elements. Especially considering some people were unpleasantly surprised by them with the initial release. For the record, I love every element of that game and am super glad it's finally come to PC, I just wish the game description covered every element of the game so people knew what they were buying."
02/13/13 - 04:22 PM
DF Chris Remo:

"Yes, the game includes all the music!"
02/13/13 - 04:28 PM
herberck:

"oh yippie, im so happy right now:) im just gonna spam every forum on the internet now with this, because my irl friends dont care haha"
02/13/13 - 04:30 PM
Stewart Martin:

"I want more information. Is there an estimated release date for the final? What songs are in the soundtrack? Is the licenced music in the soundtrack and the game? How do the controls differ from the console release? Is the Brütal Legend PC multiplayer the same as the console multiplayer? I haven't played Brutal Legend before, because I've never had a modern console."
02/13/13 - 10:16 PM
Acefox:

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! Man, I just know I'm going to wake up in a sec.. Imma enjoy while it lasts!"
02/13/13 - 10:56 PM
Neonpremesis:

"I was playing this game again just a few weeks ago and wondered to myself why they didn't release a PC version. Check Steam today and BAM, Brutal Legend on PC. Perfect."
02/14/13 - 02:15 AM
JackAxe:

"THANK YOU!!! I"ve been waiting for this day for a YEARS and I knew it would happen. Glad my browser remembered my username and password, because I haven't posted here for a long time."
02/14/13 - 02:23 AM
ABIB:

"My only question is this: Will there be a way to get the totally amazing and cool Tenacious D guitar? I have that from a pre-order bonus for my 360 version of the game, and I would be sad if I could never have it in my PC version."
02/14/13 - 03:04 AM
majutsushi:

"Will there be a Linux version? Please say yes."
02/14/13 - 07:06 AM
BF3000:

"Well, one of the games I really wanted on PC is finally here. Thanks DF."
02/14/13 - 08:34 AM
MeatMan:

"At long last, one of my favorite games of the past 5 years is released on my platform of choice. Steam pre-purchase complete!"
02/14/13 - 10:55 AM
DF Chris Remo:

"Stewart: We're shooting for February 26. The downloadable soundtrack includes the original music by Peter McConnel. The licensed music is in the game. There are mouse/keyboard or Xbox 360 pad controls. The multiplayer (and the rest of the game when it's out) is the same gameplay."
02/15/13 - 01:30 AM
FixedR6:

"Guys, thank you. I've been waiting for this for a long time. One thing - the control system is seriously not good with keyboard and mouse. Solo's still show xbox controller buttons, walking near a group of units shows a controller hot key ("y") which I have no idea how to use, and I can't exit the game from the multiplayer menu. How do we provide beta feedback?"
02/17/13 - 05:01 AM
Aser:

"Nice! As a PC-gamer I get to play what you've been up to over the years. Thank you! (Ordered)"
02/17/13 - 01:40 PM
haffri:

"Uaaahghaahaah you made me cry, you guys, but these are tears of immense happiness. Thank you all so much! [Preordered before I could even consciously make a decision]"
02/20/13 - 01:56 AM
ziddersroofurry:

"Wow, fully expected more comments. So far, the multiplayer RTS stuff is pretty damn fun. I don't get all the hate for it, this is a game made for die hard metal fans. SO much fun. Thank you for bringing this to PC, DF. I really, REALLY hope it does well enough to maybe deserve a sequel some day."
02/21/13 - 02:31 PM
ThunderPeel:

"So it doesn't include any of the DLC from the console versions??"