And then this happened…

image
Excitement! Terror! Sweets! Double Fine! We have announced the first of our four new games! It’s Tasha’s awesome Halloween RPG, COSTUME QUEST!
Hit “read the rest” for all the spooky details!

I love making smaller games! It seems like only yesterday, Tasha said to me, “I think it would be fun to make a game about trick or treating…

image

...where your homemade costumes would transform into awesome versions of themselves to do battle…

image

...and it would have all the fun stuff in it that I love from Halloween, like candy and bobbing for apples…

image

...but also awesome RPG combat…

image

...oh, and it would be super cute.”

image
And I said, “Sounds great! How big will my name be on the box?” And Tasha said, “THERE IS NO BOX.”

To which I said nothing because my head exploded.

But I still managed to give it the thumbs up, and settled in for what I thought would be a nice four- to five-year nap while Tasha and her team slaved away on the game.

But NO. Here it is, just about done all ready! And awesome.

image

Wooo! Go Costume Quest team!

Now I just have to figure out when I’m going to take that nap.

***BONUS EXCLUSIVE CONTENT!!!***

This picture of Tasha!!!

08/10/2010 - 09:03 PM
08/10/10 - 10:01 PM
Doctor Popular:

"Awesome, after reading her comic for so long it's cool to finally see a picture. I don't know if I'd recognize her without that hoodie."
08/10/10 - 10:09 PM
Hungryfreak:

"At first glance the game looked a bit weird, but I love the concept. And who's to say I don't love weird? Seriously, this looks fantastic. I just wonder about the possibilities in the game, now. It's... overwhelming. I know Double Fine can pull it off, though! This will be a fancy feather in Tasha's cap."
08/10/10 - 10:35 PM
GenoForPrez:

"THERE IS NO BOX! Did I just find out I'm living in the Matrix?"
08/10/10 - 11:53 PM
Duffadash:

"There better be a PC version this time! And none of that "let us wait forever like Deathspank does" crap!"
08/11/10 - 12:04 AM
Ofiler:

"Yes!"
08/11/10 - 12:40 AM
Chief Wakamakamu:

"That can't be Tasha! Tasha only has two dimensions! Why do you lie to me?"
08/11/10 - 01:56 AM
Bart:

"Let me guess, Release date Octobor 31st?"
08/11/10 - 04:01 AM
The Tingler:

"It looks fantastic, but I'm sorry - unless it's literally a few pounds/dollars I won't be getting this if it's not on PC. I don't do digital download titles on console. I'm just too worried the service will just be turned off at the end of this console cycle and I won't be able to access or reinstall my game, whether I still have the console or not. I don't trust Microsoft or Sony to do anything about this worry. With physical media it's not a problem, but with digital-only it's a real concern - and what about backwards compatibility? What if the next version of Xbox Live for Xbox 720 doesn't support all the old Live games and you have to repurchase them? Digital on PC though? The PC is ALL about digital now. And you know how much I love Double Fine's games on PC? I own four copies of Psychonauts, and three of those are the PC version. I own one copy of Brutal Legend, and unless it turns up on a certain desktop format that I enjoy it will forever remain one copy. That I have only played once. Nevertheless, it does sound really cool and exactly the type of game I'd like. Shame I won't get to buy it."
08/11/10 - 05:53 AM
Joe Slap:

"It actually looks super-cute. I'm afraid my wife will fall in love with these screens! thumbs up!"
08/11/10 - 06:07 AM
CuddleMuffins:

"ooooooohhhh I am excite! Good luck on the game, y'all!"
08/11/10 - 08:05 AM
Modris:

"Cute and fun idea for a game. Best of all, I don't have to wait years for it to come out! I'm sold."
08/11/10 - 09:26 AM
NexPravus:

"I'm buying this and all your forthcoming games on day one of their release. And I'll also be secretly hoping for a Brutal Legend and/or Psychonauts sequel."
08/11/10 - 12:47 PM
iamthemilkman:

"I can't wait for this game. Never did I think that we'd be getting another Double Fine game so soon. I think I'll start to love this new downloadable strategy. Getting more quirky, charming games on a more consistent basis will be splendid. And the next downloadable is lined up for early 2011 - or at least that's what I've been hearing. That's exciting! These downloadables will tide me over well until you get done with Psychonauts 2. (wink, wink)"
08/11/10 - 05:22 PM
BennyRhubarb:

"i dunno, the giant robot looks a lot like Megas from Megas XLR"
08/11/10 - 08:14 PM
gridsleep:

"Tasha looks more like her character than she does. I have no idea why I am surprised about that. No, that first sentence doesn't make any sense to me, either. That's what I meant."
08/11/10 - 08:42 PM
Insanity♥Fair:

"We've seen Tasha before. She modeled a Brutal Legend shirt, I think. Anyway, EXCITEMENT. This game looks so cute. In an awesome way. :D"
08/12/10 - 01:03 AM
original seed:

"I cant wait for this game and im 29. Trick r treatin RPG sounds fun. Thats why i love Double Fine. Originality at its best. I even bought a limited edition signed/framed Psychonauts."
08/13/10 - 05:24 AM
AdamWestsLapDog:

"I can honestly say I've never been this excited about a game about trick or treating...or that I've ever been excited about a game about trick or treating...or that I've ever heard of anyone making a game about trick or treating...HOORAY FOR MANLY CUTENESS"
08/13/10 - 09:30 AM
frankenfrog:

"I am really looking forward to this game, and it's great to see the creativity that everyone at DF has. But why not the Wii?! It needs some good games on it, too. Look on Wii Ware and all those without an XBox or PS3 with mercy, because they desperately want this game and all others to come from DF! *sob*"
08/13/10 - 01:00 PM
AlmightyPants:

"The game looks super awesome! Please bring it to PC! Also, it would be nice if Snoopy and Mr. Peterson were in the game too! Also, Tasha's head isn't as round as she draws it."
08/14/10 - 01:44 AM
Apple Pop:

"This news made my day. I have faith that this will be fantastic."
08/14/10 - 11:22 AM
Rai the Bropiphany:

"Sounds awesome! I hope there'll be a demo of some sort!"
08/14/10 - 12:11 PM
ThunderPeel2001:

"I hope the other three games are new Psychonauts DLC. It's unlikely, I know. (Costume quest looks super cool, though! Who wrote the dialogue?)"
08/15/10 - 01:26 PM
LyR_:

"[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/annakipnis/sets/72157605816235895/]Here (thanks Anna Kipnis)[/url] are more photos of the DF crew ... seriously you guys need to e-stalk more"
08/15/10 - 02:21 PM
Mullahgrrl:

"Wow, look at that coffey-cup, she is totally in character!"
08/16/10 - 04:39 PM
Razputin:

"This is totally going to be the first downloadable tilte I am going to buy for my PS3 :-) . It looks very High quality, especially for a download only title. Wonder what the price is going to be :o"
08/19/10 - 07:15 PM
DLK1:

"I hope the coffee was good."
10/06/10 - 01:41 PM
personaking:

"what a ripoff for the game be 1200msp it should be 400msp like dead rising case zero"
11/02/10 - 06:48 AM
masterkoga:

"Dudes...I just finished up Costume Quest last night. You Double Fine guys and gals sure know how to mix genres and play styles with absolute refinement and kick ass. I love how you can introduce players to genres they may not typically play. I usually dislike RPGs.This was as sweet as all the candy I found (except candy corn...yuck, cause those are right up there with peeps...or should I say down?). I could stop until I was 100%. Keep 'em coming!"
11/02/10 - 07:47 AM
BD Murphy:

"Outstanding game! Played it beginning to end over 3 nights and could not put it down. Best arcade title I've played all year! Keep up the great work everyone and here's hoping we can make this a Halloween tradition!"
08/19/11 - 11:14 PM
azeem:

" Honda CRV Steering Pump Outstanding game! Played it beginning to end over 3 nights and could not put it down. Best arcade title I've played all year! Keep up the great work everyone and here's hoping we can make this a Halloween tradition!""