Senator Leland Yee, Ph.D., declares the Game Developers Conference a Double Fine Zone

Can you blame him? We’ve practically taken over the show. That being the case, I don’t know why they’re not charging more money for this conference. Just look at these three events which I have selected at random:

The Brutal Art of Brütal Legend brought to you by LEE PETTY!
Creating the amazing art of the amazing game that is Brütal Legend was not easy, and many artists had to die to make it happen. But one of those artists lived. At least, so far. And that man is Lee Petty. Let’s hope he survives until the conference, where he will tell you all how it was done.

G.A.N.G. Demo Derby starring EMILY RIDGWAY!
Come to this session and make sounds for one minute, and then have Emily (and some other people) tear your heart to shreds. It sounds painful, but I hear it’s actually really, really fun. For the panelists, I mean. Because they enjoy hurting people. But they don’t do this just to hurt people. They do it so they can put a microphone on you and record the sound of your heart actually breaking for use in their next game.

Robotic Testing to the Rescue a love story by PAUL DU BOIS!  (Paul does not like to be photographed, so I’ll just use this picture of Lee Petty again because he’s so handsome.)
Are you excited about Brütal Legend coming out but anxious about the hours of hard, physical labor required to play it? Well, come hear this lecture by our very own Paul Du Bois about how he and Bert Chang (also our very own) wrote a program that will play it for you! This is truly the last hope of humanity because the only chance we have of avoiding robot domination is to get them hooked on video games. Who has time to take over the world when you have achievements to unlock?

The 2009 Game Developers Choice Awards hosted by ME, TIM SCHAFER!
I am accustomed to picking who lives and who dies, but only when I host these awards do I get to pick whose names to pronounce right and who’s names to flub intentionally. God, I love that power. It’s my one chance to get back at people for spelling my name wrong all the time. Oh, and sure—it’s a nice awards show, too. The winners are all selected by their fellow game developers, so it’s very legit and satisfying and usually the kind of evening that warms your heart and makes you feel good about being part of this crazy industry. Except when I host, and then it’s usually just hours and hours of me reading through a list of my enemies’ names and occasionally crank calling them with my cell phone. Unless you want your name read, I suggest you show up!

02/04/2009 - 12:29 AM
02/04/09 - 03:35 AM
Wiggy:

"My heart is filled with a longing that will never cease. And yes, Mr Petty is very handsome."
02/04/09 - 05:33 AM
Kraznor:

"Awesome, glad to see you're hosting again."
02/04/09 - 06:28 AM
Tikara:

"AAAA WHY MUST I LIVE IN ALASKA I will be watching, that is for sure, however."
02/04/09 - 01:43 PM
danesplace:

"Cool cant wait. And i cant wait for that brutal game thats comeing out oh ya its the most brutal game of all brutal brutal legends."
02/04/09 - 03:47 PM
DLK1:

""It’s my one chance to get back at people for spelling my name wrong all the time." Damn. I always wondered if this got under your skin."
02/04/09 - 07:33 PM
AlmightyPants:

"I really liked the Yee joke and picture. Any chance that we mere mortals will get to see a video of the awards?"
02/05/09 - 01:24 PM
Headroom:

"What is a "crank call" as opposed to a "prank call"? You must have one of those fancy 1980's turn dial crank phones or something! Double Fine is always in the Zone. The Zone of Awesome."
02/05/09 - 08:58 PM
kingkaraoke:

"Robotic testing?! Wow...You know you've followed the wrong career path when you're sitting next to Johnny 5 and Wall-E. Care to have a Deep Blue vs. Kasparov-like challenge?"
02/05/09 - 09:05 PM
Blazerkin:

"That picture of you makes you look like a very angry man Tim. Which gets you +20 awesome points"
02/15/09 - 10:36 AM
Deathvein:

"Didn't that chick work on BioShock? I think I saw her in the 'Making Of' documentary. She said 'like' all the time. :P Anyway, I hope there's going to be some videos from this event."
09/06/15 - 08:16 PM

"Ich komme aus Pulau Tidung ferner ich liebe, Spiele zu spielen, vor allem, wenn die Spiele des Krieges. Mein Haus sieht sich als touristischer Ort der welt, der es immer überfüllt mit Besuchern Tour, sofern ich Spiele spielen hat. Für diejenigen unter Ihnen, die wollen, um sonstige Informationen zu erhalten, wo ich lebe Sie glauben Artikel mit dem Titel Wisata Pulau Pari lesen wissensstand"